So I waned to build an easy violin, which would be good enough to take camping. The printed violins soundbox AFAIK are not so good, so I tried to make a RepStroh. I made it all from ABS so I could throw it in a tent and not worry about it falling apart. I managed to build it in about 2-3 weeks on and off, trying to be as cheap as possible.
Things I did that worked in this build:
- Used Acrfix glue instead of screws to save time on money to fine the right screws. It stuck better than the layer adhesion.
- Have a violin that can last in a ~45C
- The sound is loud at the horn, you can put a mic, an ear or a megaphone to project sound.
- Its heavy, its not an easy violin to hold
- It sounds not as loud as a omni-directional violin
The outcome sound ok. Its about as good as a cheap $100 violin from china. It has a slight gramophone timbre.
Acrfix glue used to reduce the number of screws.
How the main body parts look before
Another thing I did in this build, was to 3D print violin bridge (electric). See it matches the right height, then cut a blank bridge to fit the bridge. A violin luthier would have done a far better job, but I just wanted to see it works at all.
3D printed violin bridge test.
Blank bridge and 3D printed fitted bridge.
Cut bridge in place, sounded better too, less tinny sound.
I used galaxy pattern ducktape for the fingerboard (started out on primer, but then had no time).
The shoulder rest of this design is not that good, the axis spines. So I had to come up with somehting using zipties. It did make it easy to pick it up and use it right away.
This was really improvised.
Fiddling in Midburn, Burning man regional event.
That’s it for now hope I can post some audio when I get the chance to record.